The Paris Catacombs hold a fascinating and eerie history, serving as an underground ossuary to house the remains of over six million people. Established within the tunnels of former quarries, this vast labyrinth beneath the City of Lights has drawn the curiosity of locals and tourists alike. As a unique historical site, the Catacombs have transformed into a must-visit attraction, showcasing the macabre side of Paris and offering an unforgettable experience.
These extensive subterranean chambers were created to solve overcrowded cemeteries in the 18th century. Today, visitors can explore a small part of this network and witness the stacked bones and skulls forming the walls of the narrow passageways. While the Catacombs provide a stark reminder of the city’s past, they also provide an intriguing opportunity to step back in time and delve into Paris’s mysterious, hidden depths.
However, it’s essential to remember that unauthorized visits and entries are illegal, and proper safety measures and precautions must be taken when touring this historical site. The official Catacombs of Paris museum offers guided tours to ensure a secure and informative visit. By exploring this underground world, visitors gain valuable insight into Paris’s history and culture and experience the chilling and captivating atmosphere that has long been associated with these hauntingly beautiful tunnels.
Table of Contents
History of Paris Catacombs
The history of the Paris Catacombs dates back to the 18th century when public health problems were tied to the city’s overcrowded and unsanitary cemeteries. As a solution, old stone quarries were transformed into underground ossuaries, which now hold the remains of more than six million people. The catacombs were officially opened to the public in 1809 after extensive work was done to make them safe for visitors.
Evolution Over Time
Initially, the bones and remains were arranged in an artistic manner that conveyed a memento mori, or a reminder of death. However, the Paris Catacombs continued to evolve. In the late 18th century, the discovery of the Roman Catacombs in Italy led to dubbing the Paris ossuary the “Catacombs.” This also influenced the decision to expand and improve the Paris Catacombs, making them more accessible for public visits.
Today, the Paris Catacombs have become a popular tourist attraction, offering “Parisian catacombs tour” options for those interested in exploring the vast and intriguing underworld. These tours provide an opportunity for visitors to learn more about the history of the Catacombs, as well as appreciate the artful arrangement of human remains on display.
Visitors to the Catacombs should note the chilling inscription above the entrance to the ossuary: “Arrête, c’est ici l’empire de la mort,” which translates to “Stop, here is the empire of death.” This powerful message serves as a reminder of the solemn and historic nature of the site.
Exploring the Catacombs
The Paris Catacombs are a vast network of underground tunnels filled with history and mystery. These former quarries have been transformed into a labyrinth beneath the city, attracting tourists from all over the world. This section with the tour guide will discuss tour options for those who wish to explore the Catacombs and the benefits of private tours.
Paris Catacombs Tour Options
A variety of tour options are available for visitors interested in exploring the Paris Catacombs. Some popular choices include:
- Standard Entry: This option provides public access to the Catacombs with a self-guided tour that allows visitors to explore at their own pace. Audio guides are often available for an additional fee.
- Guided Tours: These tours include an experienced guide who shares their extensive knowledge about the Catacombs’ history and secrets. Guided tours often include access to areas not open to the general public.
- Virtual Tours: For those unable to visit the Catacombs in person, virtual tours offer an immersive online experience allowing users to explore the tunnels from the comfort of their homes.
See Related: Best Ghost Tours in Paris, France
Private Catacombs Tour Paris
Private Catacombs tours provide a more personalized and in-depth experience, ideal for visitors seeking a truly unique adventure. Some benefits of private tours include:
- Customizable Itineraries: Private tours allow visitors to tailor the experience to their interests, focusing on specific areas of the Catacombs or exploring certain historical periods.
- Flexible Scheduling: With a private tour, visitors can choose the date and time that works best for them, avoiding large crowds and ensuring the perfect pace for exploration.
- Exclusive Access: Private tours often grant access to restricted areas of the Catacombs, including tunnels and chambers not available to the general public.
- Expert Guides: A knowledgeable guide with specialized expertise can provide insight into the lesser-known aspects of the Catacombs, enhancing the overall experience for visitors.
When planning your visit to the Paris Catacombs, consider standard and private tour options to ensure the best possible exploration of this fascinating underground world.
See Related: Paris in 3 Days Itinerary: Your Guide to the City of Lights
Tickets and Pricing
Visitors can purchase tickets for the Paris Catacombs online or at the various entrance ticket only. However, booking online is strongly recommended to avoid long waiting times. The ticket prices are as follows:
- Regular fee: €14
- Reduced fee (for visitors aged 18-26): €12
- Free for visitors under 18
Please note that prices are subject to change. Check the official website for the most up-to-date information.
Hours of Operation
The Paris Catacombs are open from Tuesday to Sunday, with operating hours as follows:
- Tuesday to Sunday: 9:45 am – 8:30 pm
- Closed on Mondays
Before you visit, consider that the temperature inside the Catacombs averages 14°C and can be humid. You’ll need to climb down 131 steps and back up 112 steps during your visit.
See Related: Best Farmers Markets in Paris: A Comprehensive Guide
The Paris Catacombs offers visitors a unique and intriguing historical experience, with various tours to explore this vast underground labyrinth.
- Best Budget Tour: The Skip the Line 2-Hour Paris Catacombs Small Group Tour is popular for budget-conscious travelers. With a departure time of 12:30 PM, this tour includes skip-the-line entrance tickets, an expert guide, and a small group of up to 19 guests1.
- VIP Tour: The Catacombs of Paris Semi-Private VIP Restricted Access Tour is a 2-hour exclusive excursion that takes visitors to restricted areas most people will never see2. Limited to just 7 people, this small group allows for a more intimate experience and the opportunity to ask the guide questions and easily navigate the tunnels.
According to TripAdvisor, the Paris Catacombs are a fascinating experience that leaves a lasting impression on visitors. With over 8,000 reviews, it currently ranks #175 on the list of 3,416 things to do in Paris. Here are a few snippets of the traveler feedback:
- Reliability: Most reviews mention that the guided tours are well-organized, punctual, and reliable.
- Informative and knowledgeable guides: Tour participants consistently praise the expertise and storytelling abilities of the guides, which adds depth to the Catacombs experience.
- Atmosphere: The dark and fascinating history of the Catacombs provides an engaging atmosphere for travelers who appreciate exploring hidden and mysterious places.
Please note that the Paris Catacombs can be visited only with a valid ticket and through guided tours, which tend to last around 45 minutes to 2 hours. Booking the catacombs tickets in advance is highly recommended, as the demand is high, and skip-the-line tickets can save waiting time, especially during peak season.